We have several opportunities to meet people. When in networking events , we tend to introduce ourselves and then we offer a handshake. Handshake plays a very important role to decode a person’s body language and hidden feelings.
So, here are few things that you can know from a person’s handshake.
- Palm Position: Palm up or palm down , the way the handshake is being offered makes a huge difference. A palm up handshake offered usually means more openness and subjugating in nature, where a palm down offered handshake signals dominance and strictness. The ideal handshake offered should be vertical .
- Touch: Whatever you feel for a person shows in your touch. If you don’t feel good, you won’t be having a good handshake and if you like them, you will have a firm handshake. When you make full contact with your palm, this communicates warmth, familiarity and fondness. Touching with only your fingertips means less fondness, maybe even some discomfort.
- Pressure: The amount of pressure applied in a handshake tells you about the person’s behavior during negotiation. If the pressure on the palm is more, the person is most likely to give you a tough time during negotiation. As we tend to project ourselves more powerful, we tend to apply more pressure in handshakes.
- Time taken: If the handshake was very quick, it means that the person has a hidden agenda or the person may not be very open with you. How do you know the difference? by analyzing the pressure; pressure was more , handshake was quick, something to hide, pressure was less , means , the person is a shy person. Ideally a handshake should last between 3-4 seconds. More time taken, meaning, the person has more favors to ask from you.
- Use of other hand: Sometimes there are people, who use double handed handshake. Use of other hand in the handshake , covering your palm with both hands (sandwiching your palm) signals being warm and cordial. Here is the catch, if the other hand goes up then the person wants more from you, it can be business , it can be personal. The more the hand is up, the bigger the favor would be.
Next time, before offering a handshake, be prepared to decode the person as well.
You should know, it’s a friend or foe!