Latest posts by Kateryna Ganiukova (see all)
- How To Organize Security Tokens Offering To Gain The High Profit? - July 24, 2018
- Healthcare Mobile Apps’ Business Models: How to Get to the Top Positions within 3 Years - July 10, 2018
- MVP VS POC: A Startup Launch Strategy Guide - June 13, 2018
The good old cable subscription is becoming less and less appealing since there are tons of ways to enjoy video content via the almighty Internet. As statistics show, the online streaming channels beat cable ones to HDR content, 4K content, and other technologies.
More so, the market laws are shaped by such big industrial players as Amazon, Microsoft, YouTube, Netflix, HBO, and Hulu. These video streaming providers made it clear long ago – having a personal mobile app like Microsoft’s Mixer or Amazon’s Twitch gameplay streaming service is a new way of revenue boost for any business brand.
As our team believes, the video streaming is a big deal. Here is a guide that answers why and how can you use mobile live stream apps for your business.
How to Boost Your Business With Mobile Streaming App Technology
What do video streaming apps like Periscope and YouTube offer entrepreneurs in terms of business options?
- Product or brand presentation and marketing. Scheduling online meetings to promote your services worldwide is much easier and cheaper than a real conference or an event that requires heavy and pricey preparations.
- Online consultations, interviews, or Q&A. Direct on-demand online video consultations with your customers and guests develop trust relationship between buyer-seller. In order to build your brand’s image, you must show your clients that you’re engaged in the process as well as they are. Positive customer experience is always a top goal for all businessmen.
- Arrange seminars, training, and conferences. The modern video streaming is a fast and pretty cost-effective way to schedule and hold various conferences or seminars. No limitations in terms of what topic you want to discuss with an audience or how frequently you desire to broadcast. Same goes also for training sessions that help a lot of customers to gain new skills or share the experience you offer with another circle of people.
- Hold Live Events… Live. This option allows you to attract and engage more audience. The customers would have a chance to ‘visit’ your business’s latest events just by tuning in to your broadcast, ask questions via online translation and get an immediate response. In addition, you can conduct live “how-to” meetings that show clients the process of making your products or services. Such streaming events often gather up to thousands of excited and interested viewers.
- Share Latest News. These days, five in ten people are using social media in order to stay aware of the worldwide news. We bet you will have something amazing to share regarding your business or technologies you use. Here is where via streaming apps are extremely helpful.
- Invite Customers to Take a Peek Behind the Curtain. Another trick to cast a spell upon your clients with video streaming – you can show them the production locations that are usually left behind the scenes. Invite your target audience for a personal tour of what and how you do, show them where and which products you produce.
- Gather Up Remote Focus Groups. In order to get a feedback on your brand from various customers around the world, you may offer a subscriptions and schedule live broadcasts to hear directly from them. Ask people from every corner of the globe to use your products or services and share their experience via your video streaming app.
Live Streaming App Stats
Talking in particular numbers, there are dozens of statistics showing that video content is trending everywhere. Market share analysis says that one-third of all the information consumed via the Internet is accounted for videos. The online marketing is booming with video clips that promote companies and products. Which results in the fact that 74% of small business owners confirmed the positive effect on their brands’ reputation.
Cisco Analytics predicts that all video content will hold up to 80% of global traffic by the end of 2019. As for the trend these days, numbers are already screaming:
- 3,5 million views and 200 000 comments for Game of Thrones’ live stream on Facebook.
- 80% of the audience already watch live streams on Facebook.
- Around 70% of customers desire to buy an actual concert/event ticket after watching its live stream.
- 56% of all watched live video content it’s the breaking news broadcasts.
- 45% of the Internet stream users responded positively to paying for live content.
Analytics unanimously state that live streaming app sector has far greater “hype capacity” and bigger market potential than pre-produced video content. And it’s just a drop in the ocean of power that Mobile streaming applications have over customers. You should use every opportunity to engage directly with the community and benefit from it. There are some ready-made streaming apps or you can develop your own one. It’s a wise idea for a startup, but let’s begin with a quick analysis of successful app development.
The Most Popular Mobile Broadcasting Apps
The question that might be lurking in your mind is that how to choose the role model. Where to start and who are your competitors? Well, there is no doubt that Periscope is one of the most loved streaming apps worldwide. It’s seamless and user-friendly on both iOS and Android platforms. But there is more out there on the market. Let’s see what other video stream applications are cool like this so you can generate something even better.
Here is our list of the Top 6 most successful apps in this segment:
Now, we suggest you try them out to discover which functions they offer to users and what features are the most powerful in terms of attracting the audience.
All the existing live broadcasting apps have a standard set of functions and monetization ways. There are no additional features and the most unpleasant fact is that the customization options are so limited. That’s why you have a chance to become a trailblazer by building a customizable live streaming app. Just keep in mind that you have to provide improved user experience, overall performance, and personalization features.
Features that any modern live streaming app must have:
- User Registration and Profile Settings
- Customizable UI Design
- Content Discovery and Search Option
- Live Chat & Audio Toggles
- Subscription to Broadcasters
- Online High-Quality Video Stream
- Social media sharing options
And how can you spice your app do differ it from competitors? Add some features like these ones:
- Payment Gateways (PayPal, Stripe, etc.)
- Statistics on users activity
- Compatibility with Wearables
Streaming Quality & Bandwidth
All users desire a broadcast with high resolution and fast speed, but there are some particular Internet bandwidth requirements that bound customers in terms of compliance. To watch a stream without latencies, you should know that required bandwidth depends on the chosen video codec and the compression efficiency.
Here is a chart where you can check the average bandwidth speed to build your own mobile live streaming app:
For example, you’ll need about 2 Mbps bandwidth to watch the HD stream using H.265 video codec. The same way you can see other video properties that would affect the file’s size: bit rate, resolution, frame rate.
Also, there is such thing as simultaneous viewers limit that acts as a protection mechanism, preventing a broadcasting system from crashing. Therefore, you have to decide how many simultaneous connections to your server could be supported. Google says that 4 out of 5 users usually close the video player if the stream has problems with loading.
In a nutshell, what things you should be aware of to ensure flawless mobile app streaming performance:
- Server and user side bandwidth.
- Processor’s decoding/recoding time.
- Processor’s downgrading quality time.
- Video and Audio processing.
- Disk Storage Space.
Development Process: Start With the MVP
We already reviewed the building process for the best mobile music streaming app, but here is a more difficult case. As you see, high-quality video broadcast and customizable features are the core for the mobile live streaming app. So, if you plan to provide high-grade services to your users you’ll need the help of professional developers that have all necessary knowledge and technical background. The answer to the ‘why?’ question is simple enough.
From choosing the media server, mobile development tactics and technologies, and up to which broadcasting mechanics to apply… If you’re a non-tech entrepreneur with just an idea for your streaming app, you should delegate the task of picking up the right instruments to an experienced development team. But before asking them for help and to save some of your budget, decide which functionality you want to implement for your streaming service. And choose the business model for the start.
We recommend avoiding the common mistake of jumping up to a mountain peak and overstuffing your streaming app with all features at once. Logically, it’s better to start with the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) that helps to track whether your application is viable and which minimum improvements does it need at the initial stage.
Professionals know that it’s one of the best ways to test the waters – launching a project’s MVP is always saves you a lot of money and troubles. So, where to begin with the concept?
The first step is to choose an operating platform for your mobile live streaming app. It could be native or hybrid, and we’d advise going with the native one since it’s more reliable and steady environment. In one of our previous articles, we’ve covered the problem of choosing between native and hybrid apps, check the details.
Assuming you’d focus on the native platform, the next step is choosing which OS to use for app’s first version: Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows.
Now, here are the must-have attributes of the live video streaming app MVP:
- Basic features described above;
- User-friendly design for UI & UX;
- Backend (Server) side that ensures high-quality stream.
These would be enough to test your application’s work and see if it is attracting to users, even get their first feedback. Then, there will be a bug fixing stage and MVP submission to the chosen app stores. And be very careful here – make sure that all critical bugs are fixed before you request app stores to upload your product. If you won’t provide the best user experience the marketplaces like Apple’s Store can reject your application since the audience has high standards.
App’s Second Version – Picking Up Steam
After your app starts gaining its audience which shows the behavior that you can track, it is time for improvements. Kick into gear with the second stage of the mobile live streaming app development when. Here is the momentum where you completely finish MVP’s bug fixing of the and consider implementing the set of additional features and functionality.
To improve your app, in its second version include something like this:
- Various options for registration (via more social network channels)
- Expand the number of details on user’s profile
- Build in the appreciation system (likes)
- Provide an ability to record / replay broadcasts after they are finished;
- Add the Geolocation option
- Make the search tool more advanced
- Provide more cool video filters
Don’t forget to thoroughly analyze users’ behavior within your app as well as their feedback. Hearing your audience allows delivering the on-point functionality that satisfies your customers’ needs and allure new ones. Happy user – happy app owner.
App’s Third Version – Take Roots on the Market
Finish line! You totally control the way your app operates and know how its audience react. Now, you must consolidate your presence on the market by providing the best user experience. In order to convince customers to stick with your live streaming application, you may make upgrades like the following ones:
- Protect users privacy with specific settings
- Advance the UI design
- Add some animations and ‘Share the screen’ feature
- Allow broadcasts scheduling
- Implement push notifications
- Provide the choice for the video’s quality for users with slow Internet
- Improve sharing options – users should choose to whom they can show the stream (one person; group of people; only people in the certain area, etc.)
While developing something like YouTube live streaming mobile app, you should concentrate on the features users adore. Improve them, advance, and keep them top notch.
To build the best mobile streaming app, it’s better to ask for the help of professional software development company. Experienced and skilled programmers, like our team, offer their services for a reasonable price in order to save your budget. There won’t be any unnecessary features that your app doesn’t require and all stages of development would pass under your close attention. Such agile approach allows you to start with small MVP but end app with an internationally popular mobile app for live streaming.