Latest posts by Sandeep Srivastava (see all)
- Data Center Tiers: A Quick Guide - September 26, 2017
- Key Advantages Of MPLS VPN Over Point-To-Point Leased Lines - September 7, 2017
- 9 Benefits Of Opting For Cloud Computing Services - August 23, 2017
The universities in Canada are approached by thousands of international students every year for admission. In order to study in Canada, a student needs to obtain a Canadian study permit which serves as student visa for the duration of his/her stay. If the course or program lasts six months or less than that, there is no need for a Canadian study permit. However, it is a good idea to apply for the visa so that if you wish to continue your studies for any other program after your visit, you don’t need to leave the country to apply for a visa.
Students who have full-time registered at an accredited higher education institution also gets permission to work part-time in the campus through student permit. S/he will also be able to work off campus, as an intern, find a job after graduation and stay in the country as a permanent resident.
Let us get to know how to apply student visa in Canada.
Deciding the University
Decide the university you want to study before the commencement of the visa application process. After being accepted to a Canadian university, you will receive a standardized letter of acceptance which is required for visa application.
You don’t need a Canadian study permit if you are:
- A family or staff member of any foreign representative in Canada, accredited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.
- Enrolled in a study program that lasts for six months
- Member of foreign armed forces
- An Indian status registered in Canada
Apply for the visa
After getting an acceptance letter from the university, proceed to the next step.
- Apply online on CIC – Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
- It is also possible to apply for a visa through paper mode.
- Provide acceptance letter of a Canadian university recognized by the Canadian government.
- Provide proof of required financial resources to support education cost in Canada (tuition fees and living expenses)
- Have no criminal record
- Deliver clinical records and medical examination (if required) as a proof of your good health.
The student permit expired ninety days after the completion of the study when you receive a notification for the same.
Documents required for the visa application
- Complete application form
- Original copy of letter of acceptance by the University
- A valid passport.
- Recent size photographs containing specifications of name and date of birth on the back.
- Proof of financial support during the study
- A letter of explanation
- If you are planning to study in Quebec, you will also require Certificat d’acceptation du Quebec, English and French translation of the documents, a statement from the translator and certified copy of original documents.
- Proof of payment of fees.
Languages you will need while your study in Canada
Except you come from an English-speaking country, you will need to submit proof of English language proficiency. Accepted languages tests are:
- Advanced Cambridge English
Though proof of language skills is not a mandatory requirement, it is good idea to have them.
Subject to the requirements of your country, you may need to show up at Visa Application Center of your country to provide the biometrics. For this, you will need to pay 85 CAD, addition to regular visa fee. Some countries have been kept exempted from the biometric visit, so it may be possible that you won’t need to visit the application center.
After your Canadian student permit is approved, you will receive a letter of introduction. Depending on the country you belong to, you may also receive Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or temporary residence visa.
Can you suggest anything for anyone looking to study in Canada? Did you have the follow the process above to apple for your student visa?