Latest posts by Karen Anthony (see all)
- Seasonal SEO Is The New Development To Focus On The SEO Front From 2019 Onwards - February 18, 2019
- What Is Sonication? An Overview Of The Sonication Process In Laboratories - February 15, 2019
- 4 Top Cases For Your iPhone 7 Plus - January 31, 2019
It is not all to plant a tree in a garden container, water it occasionally and expect to get the freshest tomatoes during summer. There are a lot of things that you will need to do apart from that to ensure the following:
- Proper growth of the plant
- A healthy and disease free life and
- Fresh and juicy fruits in the end.
For this you will need to know and ensure proper drainage in the pots. Drainage plays a crucial role when you want to grow tomatoes in your garden or patio. Therefore, you will have to make sure that:
- You select planters or boxes that have at least one drainage hole at the bottom so that collection of any excess moisture in the soil is prevented
- You place a few rocks in the bottom of the garden container before potting soil in it to prevent excess drainage as well as provide better support and stabilize the tall tomato vines
- You do not block the drainage holes by putting on excess weights on it and
- You push inside the soil a supporting tomato cage or stake till it touches the bottom of the planter.
All these steps will ensure that the planter does not fall over and eventually uproot the tomato plant which is highly likely when the tomato vine becomes too heavy on the top with lots of fruits.
Choose right type of cultivars
Choosing the right type of tomato plant type is also very important to ensure that your investment is fruitful and your efforts and time is properly rewarded.
- You may choose standard tomato plant type if you have lots of space in your backyard to grow these.
- Alternatively, you can choose the dwarf or semi-dwarf variety of tomato cultivars as per your wish if you want to grow a minuscule tomato garden.
Accordingly, you must determine how large the tomato planter box should be so that it supports the particular type of tomato plant you want to grow.
You must also consider the:
- The right depth of the tomato planter
- The type of soil mix and
- The right type of planters as well.
It is not always required that you buy a planter from the shop. You can even use a homemade raised tomato boxes especially if you live in an urban area and in apartments where finding a space with proper light and air is difficult to grow plants. The homemade boxes will help you to meet with such challenges easily and more cost-effectively.
These boxes are good enough to grow food crops like tomato plants in particular. Moreover, these planters are more practical and prudent to use in your home as it will also add to the visual appeal of the interior apart from the most obvious source of nourishment.
Therefore, if you lack a gardening place and still want a patch inside your home then growing plants in these specific planter boxes is the best possible way. Simply follow the expert tips provided above.
Featured image: Pexels