Latest posts by Lara Jezeph (see all)
- Your Digestion Holds The Key To Your Moods - January 3, 2018
- Bread: The Real Reason We Can’t Tolerate It! - December 27, 2017
- Top 10 Simple Ways To Boost Your Energy and Slim Down - December 20, 2017
I eat coconut oil daily because of its mass of healing properties as well as being a satisfying good fat that our body needs in order to absorb important nutrients. So reading the latest media on how coconut oil is now bad for us gets me thinking and wanting to dig deeper.
I am getting up on my soapbox here:
Lets start with why people are so scared now by coconut oil. Is it the fact it’s a saturated fat? Is it the thought that saturated fat is ‘bad’ for us? Or is it that there’s lot’s of talk on it in the media so it must be true? Makes me laugh when people scare monger around a wholefood when consumption of processed foods are on an all time high. No one is scare mongering about fast food or the ‘Low Fat, High Sugar, High Salt’ microwaveable dinners – this stuff should not even be sold.
‘The greatest scam in the history of medicine’ George Mann.
Now, please excuse all of the statements and facts in this article, I wanted to be very clear about saturated fats.
The recent articles out now about how coconut oil is bad are stating that: “Because coconut oil increases LDL cholesterol, a cause of CVD [cardiovascular disease], and has no known offsetting favourable effects, we advise against the use of coconut oil,” the American Heart Association said in the Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease advisory. 
This is an interesting statement because I found an article written by Dr Malcolm Kendrick (I also sat in on a talk he did for nutritionists and dieticians) and he states how LDL cholesterol is NOT actually even a cause of CVD (Cardiovascular Disease). ‘The more saturated fat you eat, the lower your risk of dying of cardiovascular disease, and vice-versa.’ 
Wait, there’s more….what makes this information even more interesting is that research proving this fact was never published for the public, I wonder why?! The study was called Minnesota Coronary Experiment and on the BMJ (British Medical Journal) it only states now that it will be revisited . The main gist of the study, as explained by Dr Malcolm Kendrick was that when LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol apparently) was down, CVD actually showed to be up.
The man behind the original cholesterol research, known as Mr Cholesterol back in 1961 was Ancel Keys and was actually the principal investigator in the Minnesota Experiment, which would therefore have gone against his original findings .
Even research that was on the British Heart Foundation website showed a map of Europe and UK of how deaths from heart disease are in completely different areas to other parts consuming a high fat diet. This is something that I cannot find and I don’t want to say it has been removed so if anyone can find it then please send on to me. I just have a picture from my phone taken off a hardcopy I have.
“Saturated fats are actually important for optimal health, and most people likely need anywhere from 50-80% of their daily calories from healthy fat”, Dr Mercola . Trans fat and sugar are the dietary culprits that cause heart disease.
To that end, here are 10 amazing benefits of coconut oil and other good quality saturated fats:
- Incorporating this fat into a healthy diet can actually help you lose weight
- It’s so versatile and has many benefits as both a health food and personal-care product. I love slathering coconut oil on my skin and the roots and ends of my hair.
- Can be used in oil pulling to prevent gum disease and tooth decay naturally without fluoride toothpastes. I do this daily and I find it so beneficial.
- Processed by the liver, which means its immediately converted to energy instead of being stored as fat
- Easy to digest and great for reducing inflammation for people with gut issues like candida, leaky gut and other IBS like symptoms.
- Good quality fats like coconut oil are more satisfying so preventing over eating and keeps you fuller for longer.
- Proven Alzheimer’s Disease Natural Treatment 
- Actually Prevents Heart Disease and High Blood Pressure 
- Is antibacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral
- Improves energy and endurance.
I want to end with a statement taken from the BMJ: “Saturated fat does not clog the arteries: coronary heart disease is a chronic inflammatory condition, the risk of which can be effectively reduced from healthy lifestyle interventions”. No kidding! 
The key take home I want to leave you with is to get a balanced diet over all, rather than considering individual foods. There are many factors, which cause heart disease, and stroke and no single food or nutrient is solely responsible for this. It’s a lifestyle, which is why I work with clients across the whole spectrum not only with diet but also with mindset, sleep, stress, hormones, exercise etc. If you want to know more or to book a FREE Gut Health Breakthrough session with me TODAY!
Also, all this week is Rainbow Week promoting a different colour everyday and sharing health benefits and a new drink to make each day. Yes, I have drinks that include coconut oil – scandal!
www.facebook.com/functionatyourbest #rainbowweek 3rd-7th July 2017
If you want to read more about Dr Malcolm Kendrick’s findings around Cardio Vascular Disease (CVD) and Cholesterol – https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/
 Prevents Heart Disease and High Blood Pressure