Latest posts by Tammy (see all)
- Does Eliminating FODMAPS Help Irritable Bowel Syndrome? - October 21, 2016
- Today’s Healthy Recipe – Berry & Spinach Smoothie - September 22, 2016
- Today’s Healthy Recipe – Date & Cocoa Brownies - September 17, 2016
Having a smoothie can be a great way to get some extra fruit and vegetables as well as other nutrient dense foods such as dairy products and seeds into the diet. They make wonderful options for a meal or a snack when made with natural items.
Of course, the healthiest smoothies are those made from fresh and natural, nutrient-dense ingredients.
Why do I love smoothies for breakfast?
1. One of the great benefits of having a smoothie for breakfast is that they are very easy, and simple to make. In-fact, breakfast smoothies can be made in less than five minutes!
2. Not only are smoothies a quick and simple choice, they can also be consumed on the go.
3. If you struggle to reach your recommended fruit and vegetable intake, smoothies are a great way to get an extra serving or two of fruit or vegetable serving!
4. Having a smoothie is a great way to get variety into your diet too! There are so many different options and variations of smoothies that you can have.
Here is one of my favourite breakfast smoothie recipes:
Berry & Spinach Smoothie
4 cups spinach
2 cup blueberries (frozen)
2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
4 tablespoons of slithered almonds or walnuts
2 tablespoons chia seed
2 cups of water
Add all ingredients into blender or food processor and mix well until smooth.
Cover image – courtesy of Robin Asbell